The InDetail Journal is the academic component of the InDetail project. We aim to support and expand the platform available for debate in the field of architectural and built environment research. The focus of the journal is on architectural subjects, related to the central areas of South Africa, however any work of academic merit that may be of interest to a South African audience in the built environment will be considered.
The editors welcome submissions of 5000-7000 words for full academic articles. Scholarly papers will be subject to peer review prior to publication online. Shorter reviews, opinion pieces and commentaries are also welcomed. The InDetail journal is supported by the South African Institute of Architects. PhD and Masters students are encouraged to submit papers, but may also submit work for the student page of InDetail.
The focus of InDetail is on architectural design and heritage especially in central South Africa, but is not limited to the South African context. The editors will consider material that engages with architecture and allied fields with significance for a South African audience.
For academic peer review the following criteria are important to note:
The research presented here has not been submitted for publication nor has it been published in whole or in part elsewhere. Edited (proofread) articles on any relevant topic linked to the focus of inDetail Journal, well presented and written in an easily understandable style, will be considered for publishing on the understanding that they are the original work of the authors named.
- Articles should be between 5000-8000 words in English, length excluding bibliographical references.
- The ORCID’s for individual authors have been included in the article, as well as in the online profile where available.
- The author’s affiliation is clearly indicated.
- All references to be in the Harvard Style of referencing and sources must be clearly indicated and in alphabetical order.
- A short abstract (between 200-250 words), in both English and one additional language, must be provided at the beginning of the text.
- At least 5 applicable keywords in English and the additional language must be given after the summary.
- The content file must be submitted in Microsoft Word document file format. No specific formatting in terms of font and font size is required. If the paper is accepted for online publication formatting instructions will be included.
- All illustrations, figures, and tables must be submitted separately through the website and be a minimum of 1000 px in width (not larger than 350MB).
- Titles must be clear and direct, but informative and linked to the article content.
- Avoid uncommon abbreviations and acronyms.
- The editors reserve the right to alter the article in terms of style and formatting to fit the presentation of the journal
- Copyright is transferred to the author(s) upon publication
- Include details of the origin of the paper (research as part of a larger study, research presented at a conference, original research paper)
- Authors are welcome to submit the names and contact details of experts in the field to serve as possible adjudicators/reviewers for consideration by the editors.
Instructions to Authors:
Papers may be submitted in English, and must include an abstract in English and one additional language (preferably an official South African language) of 200-300 words.
At least 5 key words must be included in English and the additional language
Titles must be clear and direct, but informative and linked to the article content.
Papers should be in MS Word format, no specific formatting is required. If the paper is accepted for online publication formatting instructions will be included.
An edited (proofread) paper, in a clear and direct style directed at an audience in the broader architectural and built environment fields will be considered, with the understanding that it is the original work of the author(s) and that it has only been sent to InDetail for publication review.
All references to be in the Harvard Style of referencing and sources must be clearly indicated and in alphabetical order.
Avoid uncommon abbreviations and acronyms.
Tables and figures included must also be sent as separate files in order to be published online. The images must be of a high quality and clearly captioned in the paper and labelled with relevant file names.
The editors reserve the right to alter the article in terms of style and formatting to fit the presentation of the journal
Copyright is transferred to the author(s) upon publication
Include details of the origin of the paper (research as part of a larger study, research presented at a conference, original research paper)
Authors are welcome to submit the names and contact details of experts in the field to serve as possible adjudicators/reviewers for consideration by the editors.
Copyright: Copyright is transferred to the author(s) when an article is accepted for publication.
Publishing rights: When an author/s publish an article in inDetail Journal, the author/s enter into a non-exclusive publishing agreement. This means that author/s may upload a second copy to institutional repositories.
All articles are published under a Creative Commons Attribution Licence (CC BY 4.0); readers may reproduce, share and adapt the content without permission, provided the source is attributed.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Sergio Nunes, Professional Architect
Paula Gutter, Professional Architect
Wanda Odendaal, Pr Arch, Lecturer CUT
The Editor InDetail